August 5, 2016 by gregrabidoux2013
Friends, when the electoral dust settles this November it will not even be close.
Hillary will win in an absolute landslide. She will win all of the key swing states, including Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan.
She will win about 380-430 Electoral College delegates with the “Magic” number being 275.
She will win with between 54-62% of the popular vote.
Kids, go ask your grandparents about Barry Goldwater versus LBJ.
Yep, it will be that bad and worse for the GOP.
Hillary Rodham Cinton, the little girl who either never envisioned herself as president and still can’t believe this is all happening to her OR the would-be feminist who has been plotting her path to the White House since she was about 6 (depends on who you believe) will be our next President.
As sure as Bill Clinton likes um, big balloons.
Unless, Donald Trump the “Say Anything” that pops into your head candidate decides like now that he will accept that when you become the official nominee of your political party for president of the United States you commit yourself to do the following;
- Craft an effective political message
- Stay on message
- Know who the enemy is and is not
- Stay focused on the enemy and nothing else
- Stop making crazy stuff up
Since winning his party’s nomination which by the way was seen by many so-called experts as not even a remote possibility just a few months ago (remember-“A brokered convention, it will be chaos, chaos, I tell you!”) “The Donald” has;
- Continued to hold a grudge against Ted Cruz, thus alienating that bloc of voters
- Refused to endorse his party’s Speaker (Paul Ryan) or its most respected Senator and former presidential GOP nominee (John McCain) even though his own VP endorsed both strongly
- Got baited into picking a fight with the Muslim-American parents of Captain Khan, a deceased and decorated war hero
- Insisted he saw a plane full of $400 million cash headed to Iran and had the tape to prove it when neither were true
- Called Hillary Clinton “the Devil” and the “real founder of ISIS.”
So, it’s not that Mr. Trump has not been busy or energetic, two complaints he voiced about yet another of his GOP enemies (Mr. Romney) it’s just he’s been busy and energetic doing all the wrong things.
As a former candidate and my party’s nominee for US Congress (Democrat) and as a former aide to a Republican Congresswoman, Senator and consultant to a number of candidates of all stripes, there are certain truisms you just gotta follow if you have any shot at winning. No matter how much of a maverick or renegade or an “outsider” you may be, the American voting public expects that in a general election NOT a primary you will;
- Clearly make your case as to why you should be president
- Clearly make your case as to why the other guy or gal should not be president
- Not pick fights with civilians, especially parents of deceased war heroes
- Not make stuff up
- Not just play to your core voting bloc
The real key here is that a general election is a whole different ball-game than a party primary.
The next 90 or so days are all about winning over about 15-18% of the electorate that is genuinely undecided. The “Bernie Bros” will vote for Hillary massively with about 10% or so “opting-out” totally. Anyone who believes the “feel the bernies” will swing to Trump is Vermont dreaming.
But the true Libertarians will either vote for their standard-bearer Gary Johnson or Mr. Trump IF he gives them enough reason to do so.
Hillary still has some major flaws, especially in the trust department. A majority of Americans feel she broke the law and lied to cover it up. And continues to lie about it. Sweet.
But given the choice between someone who seems unhinged, unfocused and off-message versus someone who is untrustworthy, quite possibly a criminal but who stays on-message at all costs, and I mean all costs, the American public invariably will…
Go with the devil they know. Even if they aren’t sure they can trust him or her in this case.
Friends, the election will not even be close.
Unless, Mr. Trump immediately realizes that “Say Anything” (a 1989 rom-com with John Cusack and Ione Sky) makes for an OK movie but a really lousy general election campaign strategy.
If he doesn’t, not even another WikiLeaks data dump of leaked Hillary emails will save him.
And lest we forget…
And now we end as we should…